IN THIS COURSE, students will learn step by step how to use ASL colors and nouns to create unique phrases, complete sentences, and useful mini-dialogues. Students will learn eighteen (18) color words, fourteen (14) common nouns, and possessive pronouns in ASL. Students will be tested to make sure they are able to sign correctly and understand what is signed to them.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
- Hello! My name is Michael. When I was three years old, my younger brother became sick with spinal meningitis. In the process, my brother became deaf with an almost complete hearing loss. This difficult situation provided a unique opportunity for my family and I to become fluent in American Sign Language (ASL). Unlike some deaf children, my brother was not sent away to a deaf or hard of hearing school. He grew up with us, his hearing family, and we were active in the deaf community.
- As a police officer and federal investigator, I often used ASL to communicate with and interpret for witnesses, victims, and perpetrators. I decided to create ASL courses because it’s a useful and practical skill to have. Like learning any language, it opens your mind and creates the ability to communicate with a whole new group of people.
- *** This course is designed to INCLUDE complete beginners without any prior knowledge of ASL. Previous ASL skills are welcome but NOT required
THE TARGET SIGN LANGUAGE SKILLS ARE:
- Expanding ASL vocabulary skills with eighteen (18) color signs and fourteen (14) common nouns
- Increasing ASL proficiency and confidence through hands-on, step by step creation of each sign
- Signing, recognizing, and understanding phrases, sentences, and mini-dialogues in ASL
- Enrichment of practical ASL vocabulary and practical communication skills
IN THIS COURSE:
- Students will learn how to sign the following adjectives and colors: BRIGHT, DARK, LIGHT, COLOR(S), BLACK, BLUE, BROWN, GRAY, GREEN, ORANGE, PINK, PURPLE, RED, TAN, WHITE, YELLOW, GOLD, and SILVER
- Students will learn how to sign the following nouns: BALL, BIRD, CAR, EYES, FLOWER, GUM, HAIR, HOUSE, PAPER, PENCIL, PURSE, SHIRT, TABLE, and WALL
- Students will learn how to sign the possessive pronouns: MY, YOUR, HIS, HER, ITS, OUR, THEIR, YOUR (plural)
- Students will learn how to use the adjectives, colors, nouns, and pronouns to create unique phrases, complete sentences, and useful mini-dialogues
- Each individual sign will be taught step by step to ensure correct hand position and hand shape
- Students will be tested on their ability to sign and recognize the material taught in the course including vocabulary, phrases, full sentences, and mini-dialogues
AFTER TAKING THIS COURSE:
- Students will be confident using colors, nouns, and possessive pronouns in ASL
- Students will be able to create sentences and dialogues using adjectives, colors, nouns, and pronouns
- Students will have a larger vocabulary and understand the mechanics of each sign taught in the course
- Students will feel more confident as they continue their journey of becoming proficient in ASL
What is the main focus of this course?
- This course focuses on learning step by step how to use ASL colors, adjectives, nouns, and pronouns to create unique phrases, complete sentences, and useful mini-dialogues
Do I need to have prior knowledge or experience with ASL before taking this class?
- No. This course is designed for complete beginners without any prior knowledge of ASL. All necessary signs are taught individually in the course with detailed instructions
Will this course test me on what is taught?
- Yes. This course contains many sections of review and testing where you have the opportunity to demonstrate your signing and recognition skills in ASL