IN THIS COURSE, we’re going to focus on improving your fingerspelling and recognition skills by using LOTS of exercises.
THIS COURSE ASSUMES YOU:
- Already know the ABCs in American Sign Language and how to correctly sign them
- Already know how to recognize and understand all of the letters in ASL when someone signs them to you
- You already know how to correctly sign the ABCs in American Sign Language
- You are able to understand all of the individual letters in ASL when someone signs them to you
- You have a desire to learn, improve, and be more confident fingerspelling and communicating in ASL
THE TARGET SIGN LANGUAGE SKILLS ARE:
- Signing and recognizing the ASL letters quickly
- Fingerspelling letter combinations and single words
- Understanding fingerspelled words of multiple lengths
IN THIS COURSE:
- Students will improve their ability to fingerspell letter combinations and words in ASL
- Students will improve their ability to understand and recognize fingerspelled words
- Students will be tested on their ability to sign, recognize, and understand fingerspelled words in ASL
AFTER TAKING THIS COURSE:
- Students will be confident fingerspelling in ASL
- Students will be able to understand someone who is fingerspelling in ASL
- Students will be able to use fingerspelling as a way to communicate with others
- Students will have a strong foundation to continue studying more advanced sign language
What is the main focus of this course?
- The focus is improving fingerspelling and recognition skills when someone else is fingerspelling.
Do I need to have prior knowledge or experience with ASL before taking this class?
- Yes. We assume you know how to sign the complete alphabet in ASL and are able to understand when someone signs each of the letters to you. If you don't know the ABCs yet, go to my teacher profile. I have a course called "ASL | American Sign Language | The Alphabet" where I teach each letter individually in great detail.
I already know some of the ASL alphabet and can fingerspell at a basic level. How can this course help me?
- In this course, we have LOTS of exercises and activities to improve your speed, recognition, and understanding when fingerspelling in ASL. It’s a great way to boost your ability and confidence with fingerspelling.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
- Hello! My name is Michael. When I was three years old, my younger brother became sick with spinal meningitis. In the process, my brother became deaf with an almost complete hearing loss. This difficult situation provided a unique opportunity for my family and I to become fluent in American Sign Language (ASL). Unlike some deaf children, my brother was not sent away to a deaf or hard of hearing school. He grew up with us, his hearing family, and we were active in the deaf community.
- As a police officer and federal investigator, I often used ASL to communicate with and interpret for witnesses, victims, and perpetrators. I decided to create ASL courses because it’s a useful and practical skill to have. Like learning any language, it opens your mind and creates the ability to communicate with a whole new group of people.