In the secular world, we place a tremendous burden on our leaders. It should come as no surprise, then, that as leaders, we are tempted to think we are the ones who have to “do it all.” Moses started out thinking that way. But then, as the people grumble more and more, he cried out to God and said: “I can’t carry all these people by myself! The load is far too heavy!” (Numbers 11:14, New Living Translation). As Moses came to recognize the need to build teams of trusted advisers, and prepare his successor, Joshua, to lead the Israelites into the Promised Land, God taught him an important lesson. That lesson is at the heart of this course, and it is this:
- If you follow this advice, and if God commands you to do so, then you will be able to endure the pressures, and all these people will go home in peace. (Exodus 18:23, New Living Translation)
Pursuing Your Mission from God: Leading Your Ministry Into the Promised Land, applies ten lessons of Godly leadership from the life of Moses to help you disciple and train your ministry team. My course, Think Like Jesus, Lead Like Moses, is designed for you to take by yourself; to examine your own leadership style, and help you become the leader God wants you to be. This course is well suited to be used in group study, allowing you and your ministry team to take a “deep dive” into discerning how to develop leaders within your ministry and equip them to do the work God has entrusted to you. Therefore, to get the most out of this course, I encourage you to have members of your church/ministry team take this course together.
Along with the course video lessons, you’ll find downloadable workbooks that are to be used with each course session. Additionally, I’ve provided worksheet templates you can use as organization planning tools. Please feel free to download, print them, and/or modify them as you see fit.
Who is the target audience?
- Whether you are a pastor, paid staff person, missionary, or just someone called by God to volunteer in ministry, this course is a call to get out of the way, to get humble and to turn the world upside down as we learn to compete less and cooperate more. If you’ve been looking for a way to help organize people to be of one mind and spirit in your ministry, discipline others so you can get out of the way and let God go to work through them, this course is for you
- Having a note pad, an open mind, and an open Bible would come in handy as you take this course! I encourage you to invite others who are involved in your ministry to take the course with you, so that you might share ideas and encourage one another.
- Identify your mission from God for you and your ministry
- Understand and apply the principle of cooperative effort in building a ministry team
- Learn how to train the volunteers God has called to build your ministry
- Nurture a commitment among your volunteers and coworkers to lead the ministry into the “Promised Land” now, and in the future
- Identify the steps in Going to the Other Side of the Hill